A WebQuest for 1st Grade Students
Original Webquest created by Miss Wadsworth
Modified and Edited by Nadine Damiano
You have been chosen to receive a hippopotamus (hippo) for a pet. You will learn what country hippopotamuses come from, what they eat, and whether or not they prefer to sleep in bed with you or somewhere else. You will also have to name your pet and tell us why you think you were chosen to become a proud hippo owner.
We are going to find out what country hippos come from, what they like to eat, where they like to sleep, what kind of feet they have, what the long word hippopotamus really means, what the 8 characteristics of a hippo are and whether or not a hippo would really make a great pet.
1. Read the book THERE'S A HIPPOPOTAMUS UNDER MY BED by Mike Thaler
2. Print out a Hippo for a Pet Answer Sheet.
1. What country did your hippo comes from?
2. What ocean did your hippo cross over to get here to you?
3. What kinds of foods does your hippo like to eat?
4. Will he eat hotdogs and pizza and still remain alive?
5. Where does your hippo like to sleep? Maybe in a barn, your bed, in water or in a car?
6. Does your hippo prefer to be awake during the day or at night?
Task #4 Characteristics of Hippos
12. Print out a picture of your hippo and label those characteristics.
13. What name are you going to give your new hippo?
14.Write a story about your new hippo that you received as a pet. Start the story with: My hippo's name is.........I think I was chosen to receive this hippo....
15. Draw a picture to illustrate your hippo story.
You have now completed the requirements to become a hippo owner. Please make sure that you are very careful with your new pet. Now have some FUN!!!!!!!
HIPP HIPP HIPPO HOORAY.
1-Hippo and friends Word Search
2-Color page of a hippopotamus
3-Another coloring page (cartoon)
4- Hippo Fun Facts
5- Hippo Tic Tac Toe
There's a Hippopotamus Under My Bed written by Mike Thaler